Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club
Found at bee mp3 search engine

13 September 2008

Hurricane Ike and the Gas Spike

When I heard about Hurricane Ike and that it would be hitting Texas, I really wasn't paying that much attention to it. But, yesterday (Friday - September 12th) I really started to. I read some headlines that Ike would be bringing certain death. That really seemed shocking.

I'm almost wondering if Ike will be the next Katrina. I hope not. But, I can tell that it already has affected the gas prices in the United States. After coming home from my job around 3 AM yesterday (Friday, not Saturday), I noticed I needed to get some gas for my Jeep Liberty.

Well, I sort of forgot and rushed to get some gas before going back to work. I knew I would be running late, but I ended up running later than expected because the BJ's near my home (where I usually purchase my gas) was closed...and it was 3 PM!!! There were signs saying that they were out of gas and what prices they had were $3.92 per gallon when it was $3.54 per gallon just a day before. I decided to go to the Kangaroo near my home (and Capital Chrysler Jeep Dodge), but it started rationing gas to 10 gallons per customer. Whoa! Their gas was $3.75. I acted like an idiot and went to the Shell station across from them and purchased 18 gallons of gas to fill my Jeep...and it was $3.98 per gallon. I know I could've saved some money...but, who knows what will occur over the next week?

Fortunately, I'm not too shocked about the gas prices. I've gotten used to the chaos even though it amazes me. Before my Dad died, gas prices near home never reached over $2 per gallon even though they approached it. Then, in April of 2005, I paid over $2 per gallon of gas for the first time...and in September of that year, I paid over $3 per gallon of gas when Katrina hit the Gulf coast. That was a scary time...but, gas prices declined. But, they've come back up since then...and I guess the rest is history. No need to go into much more detail about gas woes, right?

As for Ike hitting Galveston, at the time of this blog/note, the eye of Ike is 12 miles away. I did hear that Ike at one time was the size of Texas itself...and you know that Texas is the largest state in the lower 48. Shocking, huh? While I was at work, I saw some of the news footage on television and noticed the waves towering over seawalls, piers, highways, etc. Not a pretty picture, but rather impressive. I also do have a co-worker who is from Houston and he has family there now. I pray that his family will be safe.

Well...I guess that's all for now. We just have to watch and see what happens.

No comments:

The Wave Swinger at the 2008 NC STATE FAIR on October 19th...

Followers

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons and Deals

Christmas 2009 Countdown!

Pictures from my Birthday Celebration at the Angus Barn on February 28th, 2009...

Pictures from my Birthday Celebration at the Angus Barn on February 28th, 2009...