Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club
Found at bee mp3 search engine

08 July 2008

Remembering Jesse Helms in December of 1990...

During my senior year in high school, I had the chance to participate in the Close-Up Foundation of Washington, DC. I had been to Washington before in the fall of 1985 for a Boy Scout troop trip, so this time would be my second visit to the nation's capitol. I'll spare you the details of what Close-Up is and what it's about. Just go to their web site. (Thanks!)

Anyway, my trip was in December of 1990...and I (along with several other classmates from my high school) were able to go to Washington for this experience. We also went to Williamsburg, VA during the week...which was during school and we missed classes!

We participated in round table discussions, etc. It's been almost eighteen years since the trip so I might be missing a few things exactly what we did...but I did take pictures!!! They were from a film camera, not a digital one. Hopefully, they can jog my memory some.

Well, to make a long story short, one of the pictures is of me and the late Senator Jesse Helms. (Picture above.)

During my visit to Washington in December of 1990, the other classmates from my high school actually had a professional group picture taken with Mr. Helms with the infamous "NO" stamp. Unfortunately, I was busy sight-seeing at the Smithsonian and missed the picture. I arrived late and had to suffice with getting a picture of me with Mr. Helms....the one above.

As you kind readers already know, Mr. Helms passed away last week on July 4th, 2008 at the age of 86. (Yes, the Fourth of July! Thomas Jefferson and John Adams also died on the Fourth of July.) He served as a North Carolina Senator from January 3rd, 1973 (the year I was born) until January 3rd, 2003....thirty years! I remember growing up hearing about Jesse Helms and how he was against so many things, etc. In fact, I think he invented the word, "NO." He was a highly outspoken (and even contraversial) conservative and one who held his stand strong. Obviously, not everyone agreed with Mr. Helms. (I didn't totally....and I still don't agree with everything on the face of this earth.)

No, I'm not going to make this post into a political stand or whatever, but just one back to December of 1990 when I was able to meet Mr. Helms in person during my trip to Washington, DC with the Close-Up Foundation.

Mr. Helms' funeral services are today (July 8th) in Raleigh, NC at Hayes-Barton Baptist Church at 2 PM followed by a private burial.

Rest in peace, Mr. Helms...you'll be missed.

No comments:

The Wave Swinger at the 2008 NC STATE FAIR on October 19th...

Followers

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons and Deals

Christmas 2009 Countdown!

Pictures from my Birthday Celebration at the Angus Barn on February 28th, 2009...

Pictures from my Birthday Celebration at the Angus Barn on February 28th, 2009...