Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club
Found at bee mp3 search engine

16 January 2008

Last Days at Key West...

Today (Wednesday the 16th) was a good day at Key West. I slept in late since I had a headache because I didn't take my medicine (like I should!) before going to sleep. When I did wake up, I took the meds and actually felt better....somewhat. The day was full of activities. (The outside temperature was about 75 or 80 degrees....and I sort of was smiling when I thought of Raleigh getting freezing rain in the forecast. I know that's mean of me!) At 1 PM, my friends and I went on a "glass-bottom" boat even though the part of the bottom which was clear was actually acrylic...NOT glass. I guess all these excursion companies could be sued for libel or something like that??? Ha!

The boat we were on was not a large one. I guess it was a 20-footer and the tour we had was a private one since we were the only ones. The larger "glass-bottom" boats did NOT go out on Wednesday because the waters were very choppy and the winds were not cooperating. Therefore, there wasn't any viewing of fish at the great barrier reef. Bummer! But, we did see some dolphins...and I did get a few pictures of them. Toward the end of the "three-hour-tour" (sounds like Gilligan's Island, huh?), my friends went snorkeling...and the water was still a tad bit chilly. I didn't go snorkeling. I just took pictures of my friends...and I've been snorkeling before in the Bahamas last August.

After the "glass-bottom" boat tour...which I was a little bit disappointed of not seeing really anything through the glass bottom except water and a sponge garden, we headed back in the Jeep to the Comfort Inn. We then hopped back on the scooters and headed back downtown. Oh, a blessing to mention is that we were able to keep the scooters until the evening, NOT 4 PM as we had previously thought. That helped make the day! The scooters are a blast to get around with...and I've been up to 40 MPH...and I know that's nothing compared to some of you who have been motorcycling. But, I'm not a motorcyclist.

I was able to scoot around the island and take more pictures...especially of the "Southernmost Point of the Continental USA" structure as well as the beginning/end of US1, the Hemmingway House, the Lighthouse, etc. I then went to Mallory Square and the waterfront (where the vendors/artists are) again. Took more pictures and met my friends there. I still was amazed of the life of Key West....just amazed!

We then ate at a restaurant (Captain Mario's?) which had a seafood buffet for $22 per person. The food was reasonable...sort of good even though I wasn't too happy with the stone crab. I've had it before and even this week at Hurricane Joe's. The conch fritters and crab cakes were delicious as well as the fried tilapia and snow crab legs. After dinner, my friends listened to some live music at a bar which we actually were hearing across Duvall Street while we were having dinner. I actually walked the street some and took some pictures....and then scooted back to the Comfort Inn to meet my friends and do this particular blog post.

Well, all "good" things must come to an end. Tomorrow (Thursday the 17th) my friends and I will be leaving Key West, but only to go to San Marco Island on the Gulf Coast where a brother of one of my friends lives. I know that my friend will be glad to see her brother and he actually is a fireman as well as a businessman too. He operates an excursion company...I think. From what I've been told, we're going on an airboat on Friday in the Everglades. This will be the first time I've gone on an airboat. (I hope you kind readers know what I'm talking about.)

Anyway, it will take about five hours to drive to San Marco Island and I think we might be going on some "backwoodsy" roads. That'll be fun. Some of North Carolina near Monkey Junction and Brunswick County (as well as many other places) are somewhat "backwoodsy" too. I guess that it'll be fun driving regardless...and I might be the one who drives. I don't know yet. :-)

I'll post again when I can. Be blessed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

G- Glad you are there safe. I'm jealous. I want to see some pictures!!!! Tell Ralph to lather up on that suntan lotion. :)

Lianne

The Wave Swinger at the 2008 NC STATE FAIR on October 19th...

Followers

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons and Deals

Christmas 2009 Countdown!

Pictures from my Birthday Celebration at the Angus Barn on February 28th, 2009...

Pictures from my Birthday Celebration at the Angus Barn on February 28th, 2009...