Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club
Found at bee mp3 search engine

26 July 2008

Sunset Boulevard, Norma Desmond, and ME, yes...ME!!! (Pardon the pun!)

I just watched the American film noir classic "Sunset Boulevard" starring Gloria Swanson as past-her-prime silent film star Norma Desmond. I've been wanting to watch SB for almost a year now (since around September 28th, 2007)...and I even thought about purchasing it online from http://www.amazon.com/, but never did.

Fortunately, I was at a Borders Bookstore in Raleigh for a Christian Singles outing last evening (Friday, July 25th) and came across a discount sale of DVD's and CD's. There were a few movies in the bin and I picked up a few only to have the "Sunset Boulevard" title catch my eye. I was like, "I've got to get this!!!" I did...I purchased two of the SB movies on sale. The price was definitely less expensive than what Amazon offered.

Well, I returned home from the outing and put the movie in my DVD player...and voila!, I began watching the movie as I was still online doing what-not and stuff. (I will be looking at the movie closer again and again.) The movie ended a few minutes before this blog post started.

I'm not going to give you a synopsis of the movie, but I will tell you that I'm glad that I *finally* did watch it...and the plot is both sad and ironically funny. To see Norma Desmond unfold is sort of strange. Her facial expressions really captured me.

Stranger still, I almost can see some of Norma Desmond in me...and that's not too good. However, I'm not anywhere as rich as she nor as insane. I might be as narcissistic in the unhealthy way??? (Yeah, right! Ha!) I might be as almost as paranoid, but not as depressed. (Honest?) I can't lie when I say that I can see some of Norma Desmond in other people...and seeing SB has been a comic relief for me because I've been dealing with some of the "Norma Desmond" issues lately. (I'm not really mocking SB....just trying to relate to it???)

Anyway, sorry to be short in this post and I must go now...so, I'll close. I've got to get ready for my close-up! (Okay, sleep.)

PS - I will say that Norma Desmond was filthy rich, but wasn't happy. I guess that money isn't everything, right? (Still, what a lifestyle! Car phones back in the early 1950's!?!?)

************************************************************************

BOTTOM LINE: If any of you readers want a chuckle at a movie that's not really a comedy, but still want to appreciate a genuine film noir classic, see "Sunset Boulevard" when you can. I give it four-and-a-half out of five stars.

No comments:

The Wave Swinger at the 2008 NC STATE FAIR on October 19th...

Followers

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons and Deals

Christmas 2009 Countdown!

Pictures from my Birthday Celebration at the Angus Barn on February 28th, 2009...

Pictures from my Birthday Celebration at the Angus Barn on February 28th, 2009...